- 3 dozen “littleneck” clams, shucked
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, small diced
- ½ red bell pepper, small diced
- ¼ cup clam juice
- 1 cup Aleia’s Italian Bread Crumbs
- juice of ½ lemon
- salt & black pepper, to taste
- 6 pieces of bacon, uncooked
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally, until it’s cooked halfway, 3-4 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towels. Let bacon cool, then cut into 1/2″ pieces. Keep the bacon fat in skillet.
- Add butter, onions and red bell peppers to the bacon fat. Cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add clam juice and cook, stirring until liquid is reduced slightly.
- Stir in Aleia’s Italian Bread Crumbs. Turn off heat and cool.
- Line a heavy large baking sheet with foil. Arrange the clams in the reserved shells on the baking sheet.
- Spoon the vegetable mixture atop the clams, dividing equally and mounding slightly.
- Top each clam with a bacon piece.
- Bake until bacon is crispy, bread crumbs are lightly toasted, and clams are just cooked through, 10–12 minutes.