- 3 acorn squash (or any squash you fancy) (halved and seeded)
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage
- 1 bag (10 ounces) Aleia’s Gluten Free Savory Stuffing
- ½ onion medium dice (about ½ cup)
- 2 ribs celery, medium dice (about 1 cup)
- 1 honeycrisp apple, medium dice (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 5 tablespoons of butter or butter substitute
- 2 cups gluten-free low-salt chicken stock or vegetable stock
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 9 x 12 x 2 baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- Wash the squash, cut off about a quarter inch at each end to make it more stable and easier to handle.
- Halve each squash, then scrape out the seeds.
- Lightly oil each, season with salt & pepper, and place cut side down on a baking sheet.
- Bake the squash until it is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Cover with tinfoil to keep warm.
- Heat oven to 350˚F
- In a large skillet pan on medium heat, cook the sausage until golden brown.
- Remove sausage from pan and set aside.
- Add the butter, onions, celery, and apples. Sauté until tender. Scrape the fond (the flavor bits left at the bottom of the pan)
- Add the sausage back into the pan
- Add the stock, spice packet and cranberries. Bring to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Place stuffing cubes into a large bowl, pour mixture from pan over stuffing cubes. Toss lightly until well mixed.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased casserole dish.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes or until hot.
- Fill the squash and bake in oven uncovered for 10 minutes or until tops are crispy.
Enjoy this perfect fall dish as a main course, or shared as a side dish!