- 12 quahogs (approximately 4” + in width)
- 4 cups of water
- 1/2 sea scallops (cut into quarters)
- 1/2 (16/20) shrimp (cut into thirds) or (21/25) shrimp
- 1 cup chopped clams (the 12 quahogs will yield the ½ cup of this)
- ¼ cup sherry
- ½ onion medium dice (about ½ cup)
- 2 ribs celery, medium dice (about 1 cup)
- 5 tablespoons of butter or butter substitute
- Additional butter or butter substitute for topping stuffing before baking
- 2 cups gluten-free clam juice
- Coarse salt
- Lemon wedges
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Scrub the quahog shells clean.
- Soak in cold water and coarse salt for 10-20 minutes.
- Place quahogs in a wide skillet with about 1/2 inch of water and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Steam the clams for about 4-5 minutes. As soon as the shells open, remove the clams from the skillet.
- Discard any that have not opened.
- Remove meat from shells, but not the “foot,” the part that attaches to the shell. Chop the meat into small pieces.
- Break apart the clam shells, remove and discard the clam foot, and rinse the shells. Set aside 12 of them.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- In a large skillet pan on medium heat, melt butter; add onions and celery. Sauté until vegetables are tender.
- Add the sherry. Boil for approximately 2 minutes (until the sherry is cooked out) or until you can’t smell the sherry anymore.
- Add clam juice and the spice packet stir and bring to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Place stuffing cubes into a large bowl, pour mixture from pan over stuffing cubes.
- Add chopped clams, scallops, and shrimp. Toss lightly until well mixed.
- Spread mixture onto a sheet tray to cool.
- Using your hands or a scoop, spoon the mixture into each shell and shape into a mound.
- If making ahead, wrap each one in film and freeze until ready to bake.
- Top each clam with a pad of butter
- Place onto a foil lined baking sheet
- Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and the tops are crispy and brown.
Sounds good. I will give it a try. Thank you.