(Makes approximately 25)
- 6 russet potatoes (medium, about 2-2.5 lbs.)
- 3 eggs (whipped)
- 1/4 cup gluten-free flour (all purpose)
- 1 cup Aleia’s Gluten-Free Panko
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil (non-GMO Canola or Grapeseed oil)
- Juice of half a lemon
- Cotton towel
- Wire rack
- Sheet tray
- Paper towel
- Heavy cast iron skillet or stainless-steel pan for the most even heat distribution.
- Pour panko onto a plate for coating, set aside.
- Line a baking tray with paper towel and place a wire rack on top.
- Peel potatoes and place in a bowl or pot filled with cold lemon water. (enough to cover them)
- Quarter potatoes and grate using a food processor (using the grating blade) or grate by hand. Place in a bowl (until it is time to ring out the liquid)
- In batches place shredded potatoes into a clean cotton towel; twist and squeeze to wring out any liquid. (An important tip to crispy latkes)
- Place into a large bowl.
- Wisk 3 eggs and add to bowl along with 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp baking powder, ¼ cup flour, pepper to taste and stir until combined.
- Heat skillet to medium-high. Pour vegetable oil into fry pan. About ½’-3/4” inchs of oil. (you will need to add more oil after you fry your first few batches)
- Test the oil by dropping a piece of shredded potato into the pan. If it sizzles you are ready!
- Using a small serving spoon scoop potato mixture and flatten a little with your hand to form.
- Coat both sides with panko.
- Carefully drop into hot oil, pressing them down a bit so that they flat
- Don’t crowd the pan, it will drop the temperature of the oil.
- When the edges start to turn golden brown, flip them.
- Fry until golden brown on both sides.
- If you see the latkes browning too quickly lower the temperature.
- Place on to the wire rack to drain.
- While they are warm season with a sprinkle of course salt.
- Serve with sides of sour cream & apple sauce.
- Latkes can be frozen on an aluminum tray with tinfoil placed between layers. Reheat from frozen or room temperature in a 350° oven until heated through.
- For vegetable latkes, add shredded carrots, chopped onions, or chopped peppers to shredded mixture